On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
<vino...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I really, really want a 3.0.0-alpha1 ASAP, since it's basically impossible
>> for downstreams to test incompat changes and new features without a release
>> artifact. I've been doing test builds, and branch-3.0.0-alpha1 is ready for
>> an RC besides possibly this fix version issue.
>
> Not arguing against the need for an alpha release, the question is if it can
> wait till after 2.8 gets done.
>
> Orthogonally, do we have a report of the incompatible changes? Like the one I
> generated for some of the branch-2 releases using late jdiff work from Li Lu
> etc. We should do this and fix any inadvertant incompatibilities. Without
> seeing this list of incompatibilities, why even make an alpha release and
> force downstream components to discover issues what can be identified through
> running reports.

I can come up with this, atleast for Source / Binary API compatibility,
provided folks don't mind if I use the Java API Compliance Checker[1]
instead of jdiff.

I'm already familiar with quickly using it, esp with Audience
Annotations from my work in HBase.

Do you want this check from some particular branch-2 release? It
matters since the releases along branch-2 have themselves had some
noise[2].

[1]: https://github.com/lvc/japi-compliance-checker
[2]: http://abi-laboratory.pro/java/tracker/timeline/hadoop/

--