I agree with Konst. The virtues of branching (instead of releasing
from trunk) and using the version suffix for the 3.x releases are lost
on me. Both introduce opportunities for error, in commits, in
consistent JIRA tagging, in packaging...

We can mark stability on the website. If someone builds a cluster
without doing this basic research, marking stability in the version
number saves them from the least of the problems they'll have. This
adds complexity for clarity that's redundant, at best. -C