Erik
  Great stuff.
BTW did you build on top of the “simulated data nodes” in HDFS which has a way
to storing only the length of data (but not real data)? That work allowed
supplementing  with a matching editsLog for the NN. Your approach of using a
real image has the advantage of being able to replay traces from audit logs.
(Ref
https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/DataNodeCluster.java)

thanks

sanjay