On 4/10/19 1:38 PM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On śro, Apr 10, 2019 at 1:27 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <an...@suse.de> wrote:
>> Have you ever wondered how to develop a software that works flawlessly
>> in all languages, including right-to-left ones like Arabic? We wonder it
>> too!
>>
>> Those and other interesting topics (both user-centric and developer
>> oriented) in the latest development report from the YaST Team at SUSE.
>>
>> Profit!
>>
>> https://lizards.opensuse.org/2019/04/10/yast-sprint-75/
>
> I'm curious if there are plans for libnm backend alongside wicked,
> yast-network could use libnm quite easily considering it is written
> in ruby :P

Not in the short term, but it's on the roadmap. The main goal is to fix
(rewrite, in some cases) the current codebase to make it capable of
working with different back-ends. Something that is now simply missing -
the code is messy and completely tied to the tools and files
traditionally used to configure the network.

So one of the first steps of the whole initiative is to make the code
modular enough so it can use those tools/files directly or it can rely
on wicked or in NetworkManager. Once that is achieved (is not going to
be a bed of roses) we can start talking about libnm or any other
possible back-end.

> It would certainly look (and probably work) nicer than calling shell every
> couple of lines as it is the case with wicked there.

Certainly. Although we will have to explore how well can that work
during an installation, which is a very special use-case (basically
working in a "chrooted" and very limited environment).

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH