On 3/3/20 5:04 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
> Sending this to both Ken (SUSE's UX expert) and the yast-devel ML (for
> public scrutiny).
>
> We have recently implemented a new feature in YaST about installing
> packages that are needed to inspect the storage setup of a system. But
> we are not satisfied with the usability, so we wanted to have some
> feedback about how to do things better.
>
> Here you can find a description of the problem:
> https://gist.github.com/ancorgs/d2565bf505834329946a998500a326c8
>
> Feel free to comment in that gist or via mail.

My own 2 cents.

I would change the dialog to something like this:

=====================================
Probing LUKS failed

The following package needs to be installed to fully analyze
the storage devices on the system:
 cryptsetup

If you continue without installing it, the system information
presented by YaST will be incomplete.

      [Install]   [Ignore and Continue]
=======================================

In other words:

- I would present the name of the package right away, with that, I don't
think we need the "details" button (the exact command is not important).
- Offering the possibility to abort right away is likely also not so
important. The user can always abort after having closed the pop-up (all
YaST modules contain a button to quit anyways).
- Use a not-so-technical wording (I'm open to suggestions to improve my
proposal).

Good enough? More thoughts?

--
Ancor González Sosa