Dead boy's father attacks Malema ANC Youth League leader slammed for Jub Jub visit Alex Eliseev, The Star, Johannesburg, 17 March 2010, Edition 4 An angry father has lashed out at Julius Malema for visiting an alleged multiple murderer instead of the families of the four schoolboys he is charged with killing. Edwin Masemola, father of 16-year-old Phomelelo, said what the ANC Youth League (ANCYL) leader did by visiting Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye in jail was "absolutely not right". "I am very disappointed. He should have visited the victims' families, not the accused," he added. Masemola has recently returned from burying his son in Limpopo. Malema had planned to visit the four families last week, but did not do so. No explanation was given by the league or Malema. Malema visited Maarohanye in prison before the hip hop artist's scheduled court appearance this morning. The Star has established that Malema spent time with Maarohanye on Monday. Joburg Correctional Services has confirmed the visit, but would not reveal its purpose. Spokeswoman Samantha Ramsewaki said that no special treatment was given to Malema at Johannesburg Prison (known as Sun City). But a warder at the prison has described how Malema and his entourage were escorted by warders, allowed to meet in a private room and forced some officers to work overtime. The warder, who asked not to be named, claimed that Malema and Maarohanye were treated to Nando's chicken. Another witness claimed to have seen the group of visitors at the prison. They had parked their luxury cars - including a 4x4 and a BMW - outside a gate where normally no parking is allowed. Maarohanye and Themba Tshabalala were allegedly racing their respective Mini Coopers when they crashed and killed four schoolboys and injured two others. ANCYL spokesman Floyd Shivambu refused to comment on the prison visit, demanding to know who the sources of The Star's story were. When he was told that the sources would not be divulged, he had this to say: "I'm going to drop the phone. Don't call me again." A person answering Malema's cellphone said: "I am not going to comment on that." Ramsewaki claimed that while Malema's visit was specially arranged, there was nothing irregular about it. "We complied with the necessary procedures because the visit fell within the normal day for visitations and we adhered to the times allocated for such visits. A formal request was made by an official in Mr Malema's office for the visit, and the detainee did agree to the meeting." Asked whether there was truth in the warder's allegation that a director of the awaiting-trial section oversaw the visit, Ramsewaki said: "The visit was in fact overseen by a security manager of the correctional facility. And, in this case, because of the profile of both the politician and inmate, and the nature of recent events, they deemed it necessary to take it to a private space." -- You are subscribed. This footer can help you. Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this message. You can visit the group WEB SITE at http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, pages, files and membership. To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this address (repeat): [email protected] . |
- [YCLSA Discussion] Dead boy's father attacks Malema Dominic Tweedie

