Business Report


*Massive strike to hit State *

/Will affect hospitals, schools /


*Business Report, Johannesburg, 9 August 2010*

Millions of government employees are preparing to down tools on Tuesday in a strike that could cripple health care services and hamper teaching at schools. It is expected all sectors of the public service, such as schools and hospitals, will be affected by the strike.

Many schools have indicated they will be closed on Tuesday.

With no contingency measures to ensure teaching was not affected, the Department of Education said on Sunday the public broadcaster's learning channels would help pupils keep up with their school work.

"Our priority is to try to mitigate the impact of the strike on learning, which will be difficult because a strike... is very disruptive. We are working closely with the SABC to broadcast revisions for pupils to be able to catch up," said spokesman Granville Whittle.

With teachers joining other public servants in a battle for an 8.6 percent wage increase and a R1 000 housing allowance, governing bodies would maintain order at schools, ensuring pupils used the time wisely.

Whittle said they were working with school bodies to see how they could help. They would also welcome parents to supervise at schools.

The SA Democratic Teachers Union's chief negotiator, Nomusa Cembi, said the government had been given ample time to come up with contingency measures.

"Children and their schooling being affected should not be entirely on the shoulders of teachers. We gave the employer seven days' notice," Cembi said yesterday.

Police would be on standby to respond to violence and intimidation that might arise from the strike, said Whittle.

Thousands of public servants are expected to take to the streets in Pretoria tomorrow as part of the countrywide protest. Streets may be congested during the march, expected to start on the corner of Schubart and Proes streets.

Tshwane Metro Police spokeswoman Alta Fourie said intersections would be closed to motorists, but would be reopened immediately the marchers had crossed them.

The public servants are to gather from 8am on the field next to the Schubart Park flats in Proes Street. They are to march south along Schubart Street, turn left into Vermeulen Street, and then march straight up to the Union Buildings.

The route back will be from the Union Buildings into Zederberg Street and against the traffic flow up Vermeulen Street. The protesters are to turn right into Beatrix Street, left into Proes Street, and make their way back to Schubart Park.

Fourie said it was expected 30 000 people would take part in the march. "They have to disperse by four in the afternoon," said Fourie.

She warned the Metro Police would be out in full force, and would be working with the SAPS.

Home Affairs would not reveal its contingency plans yesterday but spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa was adamant that "plans laid down for the World Cup" would help minimise the impact of the strike as they did during the Public Servants Association strike last week.

Health Department spokesman Fidel Hadebe would also not reveal details of contingency plans, but said it was hoped a deal would be reached to avert the strike.

Cosatu, which represents 1.3 million public servants, confirmed that the strike tomorrow was still on.

Also downing tools tomorrow are members of the Independent Labour Caucus, a group of unions not affiliated to Cosatu.

Workers have rejected a 7 percent wage increase and a R630 housing allowance, an offer they say is "ridiculous". They want an 8 percent increase and a R1 000 housing subsidy, backdated to April 1.

Meanwhile, the Azanian People's Organisation has called on the government and unions to find an immediate resolution, for the sake of the poor "who rely on the state for their wellbeing and services".

*From: http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=566&fArticleId=5594377 <http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=566&fArticleId=5594377>*
*

*

--
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You don't 
have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put anything in 
the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this address (repeat): 
[email protected] .

<<image/jpeg>>

Reply via email to