The ANC Gauteng Provincial Conference is to be held from 3 to 5 October,
2014
  _____  


 

Sunday Independent.png

 

 

ANC Gauteng summit to go ahead

 

 

Mogomotsi Magome, Sunday Independent, Johannesburg, 14 September 2014

 

The Gauteng ANC's looming provincial conference is set to go ahead, although
the party struggled to reach the 70 percent threshold of branch meetings
held required for it to convene the meeting.

 

The Sunday Independent understands that disputes and objections over branch
general meetings (BGMs) in regions like Tshwane and Ekurhuleni are delaying
the conference, as the branch meetings have struggled to reach a quorum.

 

The Tshwane, Ekurhuleni and Sedibeng regions of the province, in particular,
have proven to be problematic, with some in Tshwane turning violent.

 

Accusations of attendance registers having been tampered with have become
rife, posing a danger of the conference being nullified by Luthuli House if
they are proven to be true.

 

The province had to rerun its provincial general council last year, where
the acting provincial secretary, Boyce Maneli, was elected to the position
of deputy provincial secretary.

 

This came after a meeting of the national executive committee (NEC) decided
to nullify it, citing BGMs that were not properly convened.

 

The conference, a crucial one for Gauteng, is expected to elect new
leadership and endorse policy proposals for the province to take to the ANC
national general council next year.

 

Gauteng ANC spokesman Nkenke Kekana said the delays were not really about
the 70 percent threshold, but more about ensuring that as many branches as
possible participated.

 

"If there is a particular region where there are not enough branches taking
part, you cannot confidently go to conference without them. That has been
the main problem, but we have surpassed the 70 percent and are ready for
conference."

 

Kekana was also dismissive of the "two centres of power" debate, saying that
collective leadership actually undermined this notion.

 

"The fact that the PECs must select three names for the position of premier
shows there's an expectation that the premier can be someone other than the
chairperson.

 

"We exercise collective leadership here in Gauteng - that is not an issue,"
he said.

 

A Gauteng leader this week said the failure of branches to properly convene
meetings was a direct result of members being disgruntled with the ANC and
staying away from the meetings.

 

But others have cited divisions over leadership preferences as being at the
centre of the delays.

 

The leader, who is not authorised to speak for the province, disputed that
this was because of factional battles, even though he could not entirely
rule this out.

 

"I'm sure there is that element where people know they will lose conference
in terms of leadership elections, but overwhelmingly it is the issue of
being so despondent with the party that they see no reason to participate.

 

"The majority of branches have been telling us about the importance of going
into the conference united. It is not really a matter of leadership
tussles," he said.

 

However, it has also emerged that some branches are unhappy with the "two
centres of power" scenario that is likely to emerge from the conference,
which will see the leader of the party not being the premier of the
province.

 

The slate which is likely to win at the conference will see current chairman
Paul Mashatile retaining his position and Gauteng Premier David Makhura
elected as his deputy.

 

Some have argued for Makhura to become chairman, but this would require an
unlikely scenario that would see him challenging Mashatile for the position.

 

If Mashatile does not return as chairman, he will be in a vulnerable
position ahead of the ANC national conference in 2017.

 

A West Rand lobbyist not in favour of Mashatile described this as the "two
centres of power" that thrived when former Gauteng premier Nomvula Mokonyane
headed the provincial government, but was not in the provincial ANC
leadership.

 

"They (the leadership) were in agreement during Nomvula's term that the two
centres of power was not ideal for the province and created problems for us,
yet they want to create the same scenario now.

 

"The alliance between Mashatile and Makhura can break down. It wouldn't be
the first political alliance to do so," she said.

 

But another lobbyist sympathetic to Mashatile dismissed this, saying
tensions between Mokonyane and the provincial leadership were caused by
individual styles of leadership, not ideological differences.

 

"If Makhura is the deputy, he will be in the chairman's office. The two
share the same vision, and he will lead the province in the way the
provincial leadership desires. There are no problems there.

 

"That is the argument. There will be no two centres of power, and they know
it," he said.

 

A regional ANC Youth League leader confirmed the fracas that had been taking
place in some of the branches, saying the party would be facing many
objections before the conference went ahead.

 

"They are stealing branches everywhere. In some cases, there is no meeting
that took place, but attendance registers are distributed for people to
sign, and they are submitted as if there was a meeting.

 

"That is why there are so many objections. The practice of stealing branches
has been happening for many years, and we are not surprised. But they will
not get away with it.

 

"Look at Tshwane, for instance. How can a provincial conference take place
before the regional conference? It is because they know the regional
conference will not produce the result they want," he said.

 

Sunday Independent

 

From:
http://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/anc-gauteng-summit-to-go-ahead-1.1750501#
.VBXYpvmSyD8

 

 

 

 

 

-- 
-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to