For my Federation of University Students classmates

 

 

Fidel Castro Ruz, former President of Cuba, in Umsebenzi Online, 5 February
2015

 

Dear compañeros,

 

In 2006, as a result of health issues which were incompatible with the time
and effort required to fulfill my duties – which I myself assumed when I
entered this University September 4, 1945, 70 years ago – I resigned from my
official positions.

 

I was not the son of a worker, or lacking in material or social resources
for a relatively comfortable existence; I could say I miraculously escaped
wealth. Many years later, a richer and undoubtedly very capable U.S.
citizen, with almost 100 billion dollars, stated – according to a news
agency article published this past Thursday, January 22 – that the
predominant system of production and distribution of wealth would, from
generation to generation, make the poor rich.

 

Since the times of ancient Greece, during almost 3,000 years, the Greeks,
without going very far, were brilliant in almost all activities: physics,
mathematics, philosophy, architecture, art, science, politics, astronomy and
other branches of human knowledge. Greece, however, was a land in which
slaves did the most difficult work in fields and cities, while the oligarchy
devoted itself to writing and philosophizing. The first utopia was written
precisely for them.

 

Observe carefully the realities of this well-known, globalized and very
poorly shared planet Earth, on which we know every vital resource is
distributed in accordance with historical factors: some with much less than
they need, others with so much they don’t know what to do with it. Now
amidst great threats and dangers of war, chaos reigns in the distribution of
financial resources and social production. The world’s population has grown,
between 1800 and 2015, from one to seven billion inhabitants. Can this
population increment be accommodated, in this way, over the next 100 years,
and food, health, water and housing needs met, regardless of whatever
scientific advances are made?

 

Well, setting aside these perplexing problems, it is astonishing to recall
that the University of Havana, during the days when I entered this beloved,
prestigious institution almost three fourths of a century ago, was the only
one in Cuba.

 

Of course, fellow students and professors, we must remember that it is not
just one now, but rather more than 50 institutions of higher learning
distributed across the entire country.

 

When you invited me to participate in the launch of the commemoration of the
70th anniversary of my admission to the University, which I was surprised to
learn of, during days when I was very busy with various issues in which I
can perhaps still be relatively useful, I decided to take a break and devote
several hours to recalling those years.

 

I am overwhelmed recalling that 70 years have passed. In reality, compañeros
and compañeras, if I were to register again at this age, as some have asked
me, I would respond, without hesitation, that it would be to pursue
scientific studies. I would say, like Guayasamín: Leave a little light on
for me.

 

In those years, already influenced by Marx, I was able to understand more,
and better, the strange, complex world in which it has befallen us to live.
I may have harbored some illusions of the bourgeoisie, whose tentacles
managed to entangle many students, when they possessed more passion than
experience. The topic would be long and interminable.

 

Another genius of revolutionary action, founder of the Communist Party, was
Lenin. Thus I did not hesitate a second when during the Moncada trial, when
they allowed me to attend, albeit just one time, I stated before the judges
and dozens of high ranking officials of the Batista regime that we were
readers of Lenin.

 

We didn’t talk about Mao Zedong, since the socialist revolution in China,
inspired by the same principles, had not yet ended.

 

I insist, nonetheless, that revolutionary ideas must always be on guard as
humanity expands its knowledge.

 

Nature teaches us that tens of billions of light years may have passed, and
life in all of its expressions has always been subjected to an incredible
combination of matter and radiation.

 

A personal greeting between the Presidents of Cuba and the United States
took place at the funeral of Nelson Mandela, the distinguished, exemplary
combatant against apartheid who had become friendly with Obama.

 

It is enough to indicate that, at that time, several years had passed since
Cuban troops had decisively defeated the racist South African army, directed
by the wealthy bourgeoisie, which had vast economic resources. This is a
story of a conflict which has yet to be written. South Africa, the
government with the most financial resources on the continent, had nuclear
weapons supplied by the racist state of Israel, as the result of an
agreement between this party and President Ronald Reagan, who authorized the
delivery of devices for the use of such weapons to attack Cuban and Angolan
forces defending the Popular Republic of Angola against racist troops
attempting to occupy the country.

 

Thus peace negotiations were excluded while Angola was attacked by apartheid
forces, with the best trained and equipped army on the African continent.

 

In such a situation, there was no possibility whatsoever for a peaceful
solution. Continual efforts to liquidate the Popular Republic of Angola, to
bleed the country systematically with the power of that well equipped and
trained army, was what led to the Cuban decision to deliver a resounding
blow to the racists at Cuito Cuanavale, the former NATO base which South
Africa was attempting to occupy at all costs.

 

That powerful country was obliged to negotiate a peace agreement which put
an end to the military occupation of Angola, and an end to apartheid in
South Africa.

 

The African continent was left free of nuclear weapons. Cuba was forced to
face, for a second time, the threat of a nuclear attack.

 

Cuban internationalist troops withdrew from Africa with honor.

 

Then Cuba survived the Special Period in peace time, which has already
lasted for more than 20 years, without raising the white flag, something we
have never done, and will never do.

 

Many friends of Cuba know of the Cuban people’s exemplary conduct, and I
will explain to them, in a few words, my essential position.

 

I do not trust the policy of the United States, nor have I exchanged one
word with them, though this does not in any way signify a rejection of a
peaceful solution to conflicts or threats of war. Defending peace is the
duty of all. Any negotiated, peaceful solution to the problems between the
United States and peoples, or any people of Latin America, which does not
imply force or the use of force, must be addressed in accordance with
international principles and norms.

 

We will always defend cooperation and friendship with all of the world’s
peoples, and with those of our political adversaries. This is what we are
demanding for all.

 

The President of Cuba has taken pertinent steps in accordance with his
prerogatives and faculties conceded by the National Assembly and the
Communist Party of Cuba.

 

The grave dangers which today threaten humanity must yield to norms which
are compatible with human dignity. No country can be denied such a right.

 

In this spirit I have struggled, and will continue to struggle, to my last
breath.

 

•    Comrade Fidel Castro Ruz is the historic leader of the Cuban revolution
and former President of Cuba.  This piece was first published online by the
Granma, the official voice of the Communist Party of Cuba Central Committee,
27 January 2015; 13:01:00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-- 
-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to