BusinessDay.gif
Army to be deployed in other xenophobic hot spots Setumo Stone and Wyndham Hartley, Business Day, Johannesburg, 22 April 2015 (parts) (See also, from News24, "South African soldiers deployed overnight to tackle gangs hunting down and killing foreigners after at least seven people died in a wave of anti-immigrant violence," gallery of photos at http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/South-Africa/GALLERY-Military-raid-Jeppesto wn-hostel-20150422 ) The army was deployed to Johannesburg's Alexandra township on Tuesday after more foreigners were attacked, indicating that the police were not succeeding in curbing xenophobic violence. Troops in Alex.jpg Soldiers were expected to be deployed in other hot spots in Gauteng, North West and KwaZulu-Natal. Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said on Tuesday the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) was expected to support the South African Police Service (SAPS) wherever necessary throughout the country. The SAPS had requested support for this month and May, her spokeswoman, Joy Peter, said. At least seven people have been killed, more than 300 arrested and thousands displaced over the past few weeks. The army was also deployed in the midst of xenophobic violence in 2008, when 67 people were killed. On Monday night a Zimbabwean couple survived a violent attack in Alexandra, and on Saturday a Mozambican national, Emmanuel Sithole, was killed in full view of photographers. The president of the South African Security Forces Union, Bheki Mvovo, said the army should have been deployed earlier to support the police. Solomon Makgale, spokesman for Gen Phiyega, said the National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (Natjoints) had been activated. The structure comprises the SAPS, the defence force, metro police departments, the intelligence community and other government departments. Mr Makgale said that "the momentum has shifted in our favour and we must capitalise now. The situation is certainly much better than it was a couple of days ago, but we need the army to augment the police deployment." More attacks were reported in Isipingo, Durban, on Tuesday. From: http://www.bdlive.co.za/national/2015/04/22/army-to-be-deployed-in-other-xen ophobic-hot-spots -- -- You are subscribed. This footer can help you. Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this message. You can visit the group WEB SITE at http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, pages, files and membership. To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this address (repeat): [email protected] . --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "YCLSA Discussion Forum" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
