CNN3.jpg

 

 

South African mine massacre:

 

Report says many share in the blame

 

 

Pat St. Claire and Karen Smith, CNN, USA, 26 June 2015

 

A judicial report on dozens of shooting deaths at a South Africa platinum
mine spreads plenty of blame for the 2012 massacre, criticizing the
operating company, unions and South African authorities.

 

South African President Jacob Zuma released the findings Thursday of a
judicial Commission Inquiry he appointed to investigate the Marikana Mine
shootings.

 

Forty-four people were reported killed, including 34 miners, in two
incidents at the Lonmin platinum mine in Marikana from August 11 to 16,
2012. Seventy-eight others were injured.

 

In a public address to his nation, Zuma detailed the commission's findings,
which placed blame on Lonmin, the miners' unions and police.

 

The report found Lonmin, a London-based company, "did not use its best
endeavors to resolve the dispute that arose between itself and its workers"
who took part in an unprotected strike, Zuma said.

 

But Zuma went on to say the report found Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa
"was not the cause of the massacre and the accusations against him are
groundless."

 

The most damning criticism was reserved for the South African Police
Service, which was roundly criticized for "a complete lack of command and
control" at the scene.

 

The commission also questioned the conduct of police management during the
inquiry, accusing officials of concealing and falsifying vital information.

 

Workers at the Lonmin platinum mines began striking in August of 2012 over
pay raises.

 

Police opened fire on a gathering of thousands of machete-armed
demonstrators striking for higher wages, killing 34 workers. The shootings
came after deaths earlier in the week, including two police officers who
were hacked to death.

 

Tensions had been high partly because of the presence of competing trade
unions, the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union and the
National Union of Mineworkers.

 

Immediately after the massacre, South African authorities charged 270 miners
with murder before eventually dropping the charges.

 

Lonmin CEO Ben Magara released a statement Thursday.

 

"The report is a vital step in the healing process after the tragedy of
Marikana and a milestone on the road to ensuring that such an event never,
ever happens again in this country."

 

Lonmin said it gave its full support to the commission and "its findings
will need our detailed consideration before we take further action and
before we provide our considered responses."

 

Diana Magnay and Jack Maddox contributed to this report

 

 

From:
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/25/africa/south-africa-mine-massacre-report/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-- 
-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to