New Age2.png

Protest leaders off the hook

Luthuli House protesters escape disciplinary action

Bonolo Selebano, The New Age, Johannesburg, 15 September 2016

Disciplinary proceedings will not be meted out against ANC members who
participated in the Occupy Luthuli House protest, ANC national spokesperson
Zizi Kodwa said.

Speaking on the outcome of a meeting between himself, ANC secretary general
Gwede Mantashe and the leaders of the protest on Tuesday, Kodwa said
relations with the organisers of the protest that took place earlier this
month outside the ANC's Luthuli House headquarters in Johannesburg were not
beyond repair.

This comes despite calls by the ANC Youth League to haul in its members who
were part of the protest before the party's disciplinary committee.

"DC's and expulsions did not arise. Those are for people who are
incorrigible and beyond repair. We don't think that we've reached that
point," Kodwa said.

He said the party members who were behind the protest agreed to a follow up
meeting to iron out their differences.

"We agreed for a follow up meeting due to the nature of the discussions."

Kodwa also said that the meeting was part of the ANC's national executive
council (NEC) leadership's meetings with various party structures of the ANC
to conduct post election analysis over its poor performance at the August 3
polls.

"They were viewed in the context of the ANC's NEC meeting, everybody. At the
end of the engagements we will table a report to the NEC leadership," he
said.

In the aftermath of the hotly contested elections, the ANC lost control of
the country's biggest metros and was now playing second fiddle to the DA in
the benches of the opposition in the Tshwane, Johannesburg and Nelson
Mandela Bay metro's

The ANC's Sefako Makgatho branch chairperson, Sasabona Manganye, one of the
organisers of the march, took ANCYL president Collen Maine to task when he
called for charges to be levelled against the protest organisers.

"Collen Maine is non-existent in the structures of the ANC, we don't have
time for him," he said.

Manganye, however, said he was confident that the meeting would bear
"fruitful" results.

"Although the issues cannot be resolved in a day or one meeting, we are
confident we'll go somewhere as there has been a commitment for continuous
engagement," he said.

bono...@thenewage.co.za

From: http://tnaepaper.co.za/DRIVE/main%20edition/15092016/epaperpdf/4.pdf

database 14125 (20160915) __________

http://www.eset.com

You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to yclsa-eom-forum@googlegroups.com or reply to this
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options,
pages, files and membership.
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this
address (repeat): yclsa-eom-forum-unsubscr...@googlegroups.com .
---
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
to yclsa-eom-forum+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.