COSATU Satisfied with Strike Turnout

 

 

Amy Musgrave, Group Labour Editor, IOL, Johannesburg, 7 October 2016

 

Tens of thousands of workers took to the streets on Friday in support of
COSATU's mass action campaign for decent work and improved public transport.

 

COSATU spokesman Sizwe Pamla told Independent Media that the federation was
satisfied with the turnout and that workers were standing up for their
rights.

 

The one-day strike, in support of International Decent Work Day, saw marches
across the country.

 

All out

 

All of COSATU's affiliates came out in support of the protest, including the
SA Clothing and Textile Workers Union, which said reports indicated that
most of its members supported the strike.

 

In the Free State's Phuthaditjhaba area, 93% of clothing workers at 21
factories stayed away from work.

 

"In what should be interpreted as a strong call for decent work, thousands
of clothing workers in north-eastern Free State are out on strike today,
shutting down the industry in that area," the union said.

 

While Phuthaditjhaba is an important part of South Africa's clothing
manufacturing sector, almost all clothing workers are paid sub-minimum wages
and work under deplorable conditions. The area is known for exploitation and
sweatshops.

 

In Newcastle in KwaZulu-Natal, more than 2 000 clothing workers joined the
strike

 

"Most of these workers toil in appalling sweatshop conditions, earning
bitterly low wages. On International Decent Work Day today, they raise their
voices strongly against poverty wages being paid by employers in Newcastle,"
SACTWU said.

 

Pamla said that although the strike was protected, there were a number of
instances where workers had been intimidated not to join the protest.

 

He said COSATU's legal team was looking into the matter.

 

Encouraging

 

However, on the whole, the federation was pleased.

 

"For us this is encouraging... and we are focusing on issues that affect
workers. This is the start of rebuilding the radicalisation of workers and
going forward we will see more of this," he said.

 

The SA Chamber of Commerce and Industry said that it has made a number of
proposals on COSATU's demands to the relevant authorities.

 

It said it respected the rights of individuals or organisations to protest.

 

"We urge the organisers of the protest action to respect the right of
non-protesting workers. We also urge them to make every effort to avoid
violent protests that can lead to loss of life, and also damage to
property," Sacci said.

 

LABOUR BUREAU

 

 

From:
http://www.iol.co.za/business/news/strike-cosatu-satisfied-with-turnout-2077
396

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature
database 14242 (20161007) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

-- 
-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum.
To view this discussion on the web, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/yclsa-eom-forum/000c01d220c7%2459f847f0%240de8d7d0%24%40com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to