Times.png

'Student' arrested for attempted murder

Aron Hyman, Aphiwe Deklerk and Sipho Mabena, The Times, Johannesburg, 13
October, 2016

Three security guards at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology were
attacked in the campus security control room.

Students allegedly torched the building at the Bellville campus and left the
men for dead in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Yesterday, protesters brought the Pretoria city centre to a standstill,
forcing businesses to close and employees to flee.

And in Durban it emerged that one of those arrested for torching two
buildings at the University of KwaZulu-Natal yesterday was not enrolled at
the institution.

Murder, arson, sticks, petrol bombs

Police spokesman Sally de Beer confirmed the 26-year-old linked to the
attack at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology will appear in the
Bellville Magistrate's Court today on charges of attempted murder, arson and
malicious damage to property.

Forefront Security's Mandisi Kibito said the security guards called for help
after students approached their control room armed with sticks and petrol
bombs.

"One of my supervisors responded but the building was up in flames already
and [the guards] tried to hide in the back because the students had
surrounded the control centre," Kibito said.

University spokesman Lauren Kansley said guards from three security
companies had been deployed after the violence on Tuesday.

She said damage to buildings and equipment was likely to run into millions
of rands.

The institution has not yet ordered the evacuation of students from its
residences but staff were seen evacuating the administration building
carrying paperwork.

De Beer said 12 students other than the 26-year-old were arrested and
appeared in court yesterday. They will remain in custody until they appear
in court on Wednesday.

Pretoria, stones

In Pretoria, police in armoured vehicles shot rubber bullets at students on
the Tshwane University of Technology's Pretoria West campus. The students,
who used dustbin lids as shields and were armed with sticks and stones,
disrupted classes before pouring into the city.

A third-year marketing student at the university, Nompumelelo Haga, is due
to graduate next year but has no idea if she will be able to write her final
exams this year.

"I have paid R20000 for this year. What if I cannot write my exams and do
not graduate: will I have to pay again? It is really frustrating."

KZN arson

University of KwaZulu-Natal spokesman Lesiba Seshoka said a TV room at the
Malherbe residence, and part of the Deneys Schreiner lecture theatre, were
set alight yesterday.

"Two suspects were arrested. One is a registered student and the other a
former student," said Seshoka. He said a car was overturned on the Howard
College campus in Durban as protests intensified yesterday.

From:
http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2016/10/13/Student-arrested-for-attempte
d-murder

database 14271 (20161013) __________

http://www.eset.com

You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to yclsa-eom-forum@googlegroups.com or reply to this
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options,
pages, files and membership.
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this
address (repeat): yclsa-eom-forum-unsubscr...@googlegroups.com .
---
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
to yclsa-eom-forum+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.