ANC no letters.jpg

Parliament Passes Motion of Condolence in Honour of Comandante Fidel Castro

Today Parliament's National Assembly passed a special motion of condolence
in honour of the late former Cuban President El Comandante Fidel Castro. It
is the first time in history that Parliament passes a motion of this nature
on a world political figure. This represents a significant recognition of
the contribution El Comandante Castro and the people of Cuba played in the
liberation of the South African and African people against apartheid and
imperialism.

The Democratic Alliance, true to its imperialist and neo-colonial nature,
opposed this motion and staged a walk out. The opposition of the DA to this
motion and its attempted sabotage of the motion through leaving the house
was a desperate attempt to deny Parliament and the people of South Africa an
opportunity to pay a special homage to a true revolutionary who immensely
contributed to the liberation of all South Africans.

During the debate, we witnessed a desperate attempt to cast aspersions and
besmirch the memory and legacy of this fearless and courageous leader, whose
revolutionary army fought side by side with African liberation fighters in
Angola and Namibia. The Cuban people aided South African freedom fighters in
exile and continued to support South Africa post liberation. President
Castro addressed the South African parliament on 8th September 1998 where he