On 5/8/05, Ryan Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gabriel Birke wrote:
> 
> > Today I found a page that is directly related to another page I saved
> > in del. But I don't want to bloat my tag list with a special tag for
> > only these two urls.
[...]
> 
> Yes! I've wanted the ability to link posts directly to one another for a
> while now.

This is something I have wanted to do as well.  I'm sure the most
delicious-ful way to do it is to use a tag, but tags have to have
names.  Sometimes I can't think of a name, or the concept that joins
the links (they're both on the same site, for example) is difficult to
name concisely and uniquely.  One solution would be to allow anonymous
tags, i.e. tags without a name.  For a given bookmark, he interface
would display related bookmarks which were tagged with any of the same
anonymous tags.

It's like the difference between "defun" and "lambda" in lisp: you
would separate the creation and naming of a tag.

The implementation of this could be for delicious internally to
represent each user's tags as unique integer keys, pointing to entries
in a (per-user?) index of names.

This idea of a layer of indirection between tags and their names is
pretty obvious, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if things are
already done this way.  It's probably an efficient way to implement a
number of other features, such as private personal tags (by
controlling access to the index), or explicitly-defined group tags (by
allowing members of the group to share a particular key->tagname
mapping, and controlling who can post using that key.)

Theo
_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to