On 7/27/05, Mark Roggenkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this...
My immedate impression was that sharing links across course cohorts would be a Good Thing... but in terms of pedagogy I suspect there are arguments against it.
For example, each pupil/student goes on a journey through a course - and suppose discovering relevant resources in the wild is one of the things we want them to do. As people share bookmarks, arguably the element of discovery is harder to build in to the learning design (though perhaps this also reflects that more tools are becoming acvailable, knowledge need not be so hard come by, users are getting more sophisticated in terms of ICT use etc etc)
This is perhaps a downside of social bookmarking - for example - imagine setting the pupils the task of finding 3 or 4 website on a topic - imagine them stumbling across a student from last year's course delicious entry - would link plagiarism result!?
I also wonder how many links are too many links? and how many tags are too many tags? etc
[I'm rambling....hmm - time to step back a second:]
How can we get students to use bookmarks:
1) they can look at ours, thus using them simply as eg a reading list.
2) they can create their own, for personal reference, or perhaps as the starting point for a critiquing exercise (so the link is submitted as the starting point of a piece fo work);
3) they can share their own - eg in a group project;
4) they can learn from others who share similar bookmarks - so using other like-minded users (in some respects) as a place to search/browse for related material;
I wonder whether a student bookmark sharing scheme should use quality ratings? (I must say, as a course writer, I quite like the idea of farming pages that a lot of students link to/rate highly to see a) how it's designed, and b) what sort of content it's delivering the students (who obviously think they need it to bookmark it and rate it highly)
I also wonder whether there are different user models at:
a) secondary education level (12-18)
b) further education (16-120, ish)
c) higher education
d) postgraduate education
Also, are there particulalr models for:
1) researching projects;
2) critiquing;
3) err....?
Should bookmarks be shared across institutions offering the same course? Are there conseuqences if a) instituions that share bookmarks don;t compete (ef further education colleges hundreds of miles apart serving local populations) or do compete (eg universities competing for the same students); should bookmarks shard across insitutions be public or private (ie restricted to registered students).
On a tangent, i've often thought that in terms of communities of practice it would be sensible for HE educators to share reading lists....
I hadn;t thought about bookmarking in the realm of course choice - hmm...interesting. What's the 'real world' equivalenet - showoing someone books? course notes?
tony
I was just thinking we could also use previously saved bookmarks that were tagged for a specific course to help students prepare for upcoming classes. They could see what students who previously took a course thought were relevent links to content.
I have mixed feelings about this...
My immedate impression was that sharing links across course cohorts would be a Good Thing... but in terms of pedagogy I suspect there are arguments against it.
For example, each pupil/student goes on a journey through a course - and suppose discovering relevant resources in the wild is one of the things we want them to do. As people share bookmarks, arguably the element of discovery is harder to build in to the learning design (though perhaps this also reflects that more tools are becoming acvailable, knowledge need not be so hard come by, users are getting more sophisticated in terms of ICT use etc etc)
This is perhaps a downside of social bookmarking - for example - imagine setting the pupils the task of finding 3 or 4 website on a topic - imagine them stumbling across a student from last year's course delicious entry - would link plagiarism result!?
I also wonder how many links are too many links? and how many tags are too many tags? etc
[I'm rambling....hmm - time to step back a second:]
How can we get students to use bookmarks:
1) they can look at ours, thus using them simply as eg a reading list.
2) they can create their own, for personal reference, or perhaps as the starting point for a critiquing exercise (so the link is submitted as the starting point of a piece fo work);
3) they can share their own - eg in a group project;
4) they can learn from others who share similar bookmarks - so using other like-minded users (in some respects) as a place to search/browse for related material;
I wonder whether a student bookmark sharing scheme should use quality ratings? (I must say, as a course writer, I quite like the idea of farming pages that a lot of students link to/rate highly to see a) how it's designed, and b) what sort of content it's delivering the students (who obviously think they need it to bookmark it and rate it highly)
I also wonder whether there are different user models at:
a) secondary education level (12-18)
b) further education (16-120, ish)
c) higher education
d) postgraduate education
Also, are there particulalr models for:
1) researching projects;
2) critiquing;
3) err....?
Should bookmarks be shared across institutions offering the same course? Are there conseuqences if a) instituions that share bookmarks don;t compete (ef further education colleges hundreds of miles apart serving local populations) or do compete (eg universities competing for the same students); should bookmarks shard across insitutions be public or private (ie restricted to registered students).
On a tangent, i've often thought that in terms of communities of practice it would be sensible for HE educators to share reading lists....
Of course we could also link this to our online schedule and help students make more informed choices about the classes they choose to take. That may somehow contribute to course shopping to find the easiest course but maybe the value would outweigh that.
I hadn;t thought about bookmarking in the realm of course choice - hmm...interesting. What's the 'real world' equivalenet - showoing someone books? course notes?
tony
_______________________________________________ discuss mailing list [email protected] http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

