This comment comes from a "use it before I read the instructions" person.

It wasn't until recently that I realized I could click on the tags in
the extension window to add them to the tag list. happened by
accident.

Got me to thinking -- why hadn't I realized it naturally? What
experience with user interface built up this lack of expectation?

Here are a couple of cropped screenshots to illustrate

<http://flickr.com/photos/sheila/sets/953335/>

I think maybe it has to do with the lack of mouseover feedback, as
well as the gray color juxtaposed with the white input field color.

Text in a gray window panel isn't typically a sign of activatable
content is it? My firefox menubar is a counterexample, but those text
words provide feedback on mouseover.

Same thing happens with text in a web page, typically. Clickable
regions of text standout* from non clickable regions. (if they don't,
that's a flaw, imo).

Is there some place I can read more about this? I switched worlds from
embedded programming to an applications environment and I work more
with GUIs and UIs in general these days. I've had this same question
re grey panes with "actionable" text in relation to some of the GUIs
I've been working on. Since the GUIs I work with aren't in the context
of a webbrowsing experience, I don't think the user expectation will
be the same, but I think there is probably some similar principle at
work overall.



* not necessarily literally, but they are distinguished in some way.

-- 
sheila
_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to