Hi Darrell,

Thanks for the impassioned response, I'll take the somewhat impersonal
approach of answering your questions with bullets, but I want to make
sure all your needs are addressed.

1.  Audio CAPTCHA is definitely in plan for a future release.  This is
being worked on at Yahoo! by our own accessibility evangelist and we
will incorporate it as soon as possible.  In the meantime, our support
team will register users over the telephone if needed.  I noticed you
posted another message from our support team with a clearly incorrect
response.  I will follow up and make sure this doesn't happen again.
In the meantime, I will also make sure that you get contacted via
email for a phone registration.

2.  The Firefox extension does have keyboard shortcuts for virtually
everything.  We are working on an updated IE extension, but even that
extension can't utilize keyboard shortcuts because Microsoft doesn't
allow them in browser add-ons.  We are investigating workarounds but
haven't found a solution yet.

3.  We'd love to invite blind users to our beta, but unless they self
identify somehow, it's hard for us to determine whom to invite.  If
you know of any, please have them email me directly and I will make
sure it happens.  Also, once your are registered on del.icio.us, let
me know, and I will make sure you get in the beta, because we want to
hear your feedback.

Finally, I want to apologize for your experience with registration.  I
realize that for every user that takes the time to write, there are
many who give up, so it's in our best interests to put our best foot
forward.  Thanks again for writing.

Nick Nguyen
Product Manager, del.icio.us

--- In ydn-delicious@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell Shandrow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Dear Del.icio.us Developers,
>
> I am writing to ask that the Del.icio.us developers make sure the
service is accessible in such a way as to reasonably accomodate the
needs of people with disabilities, including blindness.

> First, and most important, please make the CAPTCHA signup process
accessible by way of an audio playback of the characters, a text-based
challenge/response, etc.  The current inaccessibility of the
registration process represents a lock out of blind people solely
based on our lack of physical eye sight.  Doing this just isn't right
on a number of levels, especially since a number of technologies now
exist to make this happen.

> Second, please work on the browser integration extensions.  For
instance, please add keyboard shortcuts to the Internet Explorer
plugin so that we may be granted access to this bookmarklet
functionality.  Information about usable, alternative tools for this
purpose would also be appreciated from the developer and user communities.

> Third, please make sure some of us blind users are invited to
participate in the new del.icio.us beta, and take our accessibility
related feedback into serious consideration.

> I hope I will receive some positive responses to this request both
from the del.icio.us development team and the overall developer
community.  It is important that everyone, including those of us whom
happen to be blind / visually impaired, be afforded an equal chance at
participation on the web.  We have something to contribute, too, right
alongside our sighted peers.  Being accessible is quite simply the
right thing to do.

> Best regards,
>
> Please visit http://BlindWebAccess.com and sign the petition asking
Yahoo! to make their CAPTCHA accessible!
http://ld.net/?nu7i