On Tue, 2020-02-11 at 05:32 -0500, rpj...@crashcourse.ca wrote:
>   second, i think we all agree that it is rarely necessary to use
> "PROVIDES +=", although i did run across one case in
> recipes-core/glibc/glibc.inc:
>
>   PROVIDES = "virtual/libc"
>   PROVIDES += "virtual/libintl virtual/libiconv"
>
> where, sure, if you break it over more than one line, yes, then you
> need it.

I think the original intent was that bitbake.conf defines the basic
PROVIDES/DEPENDS and then the recipes adjust as needed.

As such, PROVIDES and DEPENDS would then always use +=.

Unfortunately over the years this has gotten lost and bitbake.conf and
base.bbclass had to become more inventive about how they set the
defaults for the variables.

As such, I think += actually makes sense but I realise that isn't the
way most recipes work now. We could try and fix that but it does seem
like a marginal gain when there are bigger issues.

Cheers,

Richard