I think the relevant part for me in that script is the func
exec_postinst_scriplets(). It looks to me as if this function iterates through
all scripts in the /etc/deb-postinsts directory in my case and executes them
with "sh".
My problem seems to have stemmed from confusion on my part about what package
the postinst attaches to.
The postinst belongs to the package with the same name as my recipe because of
the _${PN}. However I specified that my recipe produces another package with
the PROVIDES ="" variable.
In my IMAGE_INSTALL I only added the package I specifically provide. Therefore
the recipe package with the postinst did not end up in my rootfs.

When changing the IMAGE_INSTALL I get my commands to be executed on the system
on first boot.
I realize now that my current method of having every recipe create an extra
package with PROVIDES is not really necessary.

Your hint about the run-postinsts directory was what lead me to understand the
mechanism further.
And on the way I recognized a bad or at least confusing practice on my behalf.

I consider this question/problem solved, thank you very much.

Stefan