Hello Scott,

What I wanted to say here is that you do not change anything while
building a YOCTO load. You'll get all the components in:
.../tmp/deploy/images/$(PLATFORM) , namely:
XYZ,rootfs.cpio.zx
U-Boot
zImage
modules

But you can build a rt-kernel very conventionally, using out of YOCTO
classical kernel build.
[1] Download from the provider the normal kernel;
[2] Apply rt-patches to it (usually there is a script for it);
[3] make imx8_defconfig or whatever *_defconfig which suits to your platform;
[4] make menuconfig (for checking which CONFIG_ options are included,
and if you need something more/less, to adjust it;
[5] make
[6] sudo make modules_install

This is in nutshell, you might need to use cross compiling options,
like I do for BBB:
https://github.com/ZoranStojsavljevic/MikroE_BeagleBone-Black_BSP-Integration/blob/master/README.md

(please, find U-Boot and kernel classical building procedures in there)

The same for U-Boot, or even you can use YOCTO's U-Boot.

Then, if the whole system suits your requirements, you might go by
Bruce's advices (from his very last email).

Just an idea how to ease your initial pain...

Zoran
_______