I need to build a custom slip driver out of the normal kernel build process and I've overridden the var

LINUX_VERSION_EXTENSION = \
    "-${PROMPT}-$(/bin/date +%j%H%M)${PM1_DEVEL_IMAGE}"

so that my kernel always has a unique identifier for the development build I'm working on.

problem is that the custom driver bb file barfs.

bitbake -f -c cleanall virtual/kernel
bitbake my-image

fails with:

Collected errors:
 * Solver encountered 1 problem(s):
 * Problem 1/1:
* - nothing provides kernel-4.14.0-hpcu-2182234dev needed by kernel-module-customslip-4.14.0-hpcu-2182234dev-...
 *
 * Solution 1:
 *   - do not ask to install a package providing customslip-mod

the important bb file content is:

inherit module
SRC_URI = "file://Makefile \
           file://customslip.c \
           file://customslip.h \
           file://COPYING \
          "
S = "${WORKDIR}"

RPROVIDES_${PN} += "kernel-module-customslip"

What yocto override variable can I set in the bb to make it not care what the localversion appended to the kernel name is?