On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 08:39:42AM +0100, Belisko Marek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 8:04 AM <mikko.rap...@bmw.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 07:44:39PM +0100, Marek Belisko wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm using poky release thud and would like to bump python3 to 3.8.x. I
> > > took recipe from most recent poky version but I'm hitting issue with
> > > e.g. meson build like:
> > > Log data follows:
> > >
> > > Are there some other things I need to take care when want to bump python3?
> >
> > When backporting changes, I find it better to cherry-pick the changes for
> > e.g.
> > python3 update from master to the old branch that I have to use. In my case
> > I can
> > not update anything which breaks ABIs on target images but can update all
> > development tools like python3. Often fixes and/or updates to components
> > which
> > fail to build are also easy to find from master and cherry-pick, especially
> > if you
> > don't need to build all recipes from poky but only a certain subset. Over
> > time this will make your local branch look horrible though, but at least
> > merges from stable branches will in most cases work, if they are still
> > alive.
> Thanks for sharing. But I'm using official poky release from git so I
> cannot cherry pick changes.
> Or you have clone of poky repo and add changes on top from newest versions?

Locally, as developer you always have a local branch where you can cherry-pick
changes. With git submodules and repo tooling, you should use a local or
project specific clone of poky. Or move all updates and changes to your own
layers, but I find this doesn't scale and instead branching in git works
better.

Cheers,

-Mikko