Hi David,
If you change it directly, changes may not be taken into account for the
rebuild. And if the package build gets retriggered, then the whole
repository is deleted (including your local changes), redownloaded,
repatched and so on. So while it may by chance work by modifying locally in
certain conditions, it will most likely not.

I would see two ways:
1) Create a patch that does your changes and add it to the recipe (most
likely now in a custom layer) as a patch
2) Fork the repository, add all your customizations there, and point the
recipe (again most likely now in a custom layer) to that one.

Cheers,
F.