In the bitbake user manual it has an example of how to set the variable value
using the OVERRIDE variable

OVERRIDES = "architecture:os:machine"
TEST = "default"
TEST_os = "osspecific"
TEST_nooverride = "othercondvalue"

Lets say this is in the recipe called "test_0.1.bb" and we remove the OVERRIDES
line from it

If we want to the OVERRIDES value to configure the recipe externally say in
local.conf as I do not want to change the recipe how would I do that?

Setting the OVERRIDES inside the same recipe seems limited it seems to give me
just an easy way of having all the options and selecting one. I could use an
append file to set it but I am sure it can be used in a better way.
I see in the Conditional Metadata section of the user manual there is another
example using KBANCH with different architures being set but it does not
explain how or were the OVERRIDES value is set.  Can some one explain how this
works?

I have tried adding OVERRIDES_pn-test = "os" in the local.conf file but this
results in a mess  or errors

Thanks
Andrew