Hi Joshua,

Le lun. 22 mars 2021 à 19:24, Joshua Watt <jpewhac...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On 3/22/21 9:59 AM, Yann Dirson wrote:
>
> Hi Trevor,
>
> Le lun. 22 mars 2021 à 15:47, Trevor Woerner <twoer...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> On Mon 2021-03-22 @ 02:42:12 PM, yann.dir...@blade-group.com wrote:
>
> This supports both the 2GB and 4GB versions of the board.  This is not
> done with 2 different machine definitions since only u-boot has to
> change between those two configurations, but with a NANOPIM4_HW variable
> to set in local.conf.
>
> Traditionally in meta-rockchip this is done using two separate machine files
> with all the common things factored into a common include file. See
> tinker-board and tinker-board-s as well as all the rock-pi-4* definitions for
> examples.
>
> I would prefer if the same thing was done here.
>
> Damned that was how I did my first patch, I just felt it was much
> better this way :(
>
> Digging up that original commit re rerolling.
>

> Wouldn't it be useful to have a standard way to specify such hardware
> variants, that
> would be recognized as such by the layer index ?
>
> FWIW, I'd rather u-boot could automatcially detect what variant of the board
> it's running on and do the right thing (usually, just selecting the proper
> DTB from the FIT image). The only reason I did not do this on the rock-pi-4
> is because there doesn't appear to be a way for u-boot to detect which
> variant it's on :/

Wait, it's only the dtb used by u-boot which is different in this
case, the kernel uses a single dtb for both variants.
Those probably get embedded inside the bootloader, in any case they
are not those embedded in the fitImage.

 #include "rk3399-nanopi4-u-boot.dtsi"
-#include "rk3399-sdram-ddr3-1866.dtsi"
+#include "rk3399-sdram-lpddr3-samsung-4GB-1866.dtsi"

I have no clue how easily the two boards could be told one from the
other (let alone if that can be done safely),
and I feel that would rather be uboot-side work, rather than something
to be solved on the yocto side.

--
Yann Dirson <y...@blade-group.com>
Blade / Shadow -- http://shadow.tech