On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 6:25 PM Robert Joslyn
<robert.jos...@redrectangle.org> wrote:

> There is the oe-stylize.py script that attempts to format recipes
> according to the style guide:
> https://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/contrib/oe-stylize.py
>
> Last time I played with it, I was a bit disappointed with some of the
> changes it makes, some of which are different than what devtool does.
> When I need to introduce new developers to bitbake, I'd love to be able
> to hand them oe-stylize or something similar and just tell them to run
> it before committing to make sure everything is formatted consistently.
>
> I've had updating oe-stylize.py on my TODO list for a while, but more
> important things always come up.

Given what I have seen so far, I am wondering if that is the right
place to start.

To summarize:

There appears to be general agreement that the idea is a good one, but a large
patch wall is considered rather objectionable by at least Bruce Ashfield.

Khem Raj brought up a good point that a big change like the one I am proposing
needs some sort of tooling to make sure we do not regress.

And the above reply from Robert Joslyn has me wondering if there is already
something in place to do the linting Khem Raj is referring to, or if
oe-stylize.py
would form the basis for such a tool if we added it to an automated system.

So taking a step back, does it make sense to update the guidance on the
styleguide (https://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Styleguide) page first?

If so, I would be happy to make the updates. I requested an account,
but I got an
error - "Error sending mail: Unknown error in PHP's mail() function."

..Ch:W..

--
"Perfection must be reached by degrees; she requires the slow hand of
time." - Voltaire