On Fri, 2021-10-15 at 03:03 -0700, Chuck Wolber wrote:
> Is there a recommended strategy to get do_fetch to invalidate on directory
> path changes in paths pointed to by file:// URLs in SRC_URI?
>
> Example:
>
> SRC_URI += "file://src;subdir=${S}"
>
> A file at src/foo/bar/baz is recognized just fine. But then a directory change
> to something like src/foo/bar2/baz is not recognized and does not invalidate
> any tasks in subsequent builds.
>
> Use case is a recipe that has a fair bit of metadata that is not even remotely
> amenable to the typical flat layout expected of a set of patches.
>
> ..Ch:W..
>
> P.S. I attempted to do this with an event handler that was run when
> bb.event.RecipePreFinalise is is fired. It would compare directory trees and
> set do_fetch[nostamp] = "1" to invalidate the fetcher task. But I got really
> spotty behavior. It seems like event handlers are cached like tasks.

I can see why this breaks and it isn't entirely straightforward to fix since
we'd have to add data to the file-checksums entries which are generated by both
OE and Bitbake.

I have a bit of a horrible idea to do this in master-next which does solve the
problem. We probably need a new bitbake selftest testcase before I could think
about merging it though.

Cheers,

Richard