On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 7:27 AM <richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2022-05-28 at 07:40 +0300, Marius Vlad wrote:

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > For an immediate fix I've moved the polkit addition to a bbappend added
> > > via BBFILES_DYNAMIC, gated on meta-oe presence.  The current intent is
> > > that the meta-agl-core test on the autobuilder only need poky, so letting
> > > this slip in was a thinko on our part.  We may revisit making meta-oe a
> > > required dependency when binary packagefeed prototyping starts in AGL.
> > > Your comment re features_check is right on, I'll add that when I get a
> > > chance over the weekend.  One thing I may bring up on the next dev call
> > > is Weston does need polkit in some situations (hence the addition in
> > > AGL), so maybe shifting it to oe-core starts to make more sense now...
> > Yes, when using the logind launcher, or the seatd launcher with the
> > logind back-end, polkit is needed to activate the session.  There's no
> > more a direct launcher, weston-launch has been removed and upstream weston
> > can for some time now use systemd user sessions to starting-up.
> >
> > The seatd launcher with daemon or built-in back-end, appears to be doing
> > the activation on its own, but I reckon systemd-logind back-end will be
> > the de-facto back-end if changing the launcher in weston to seatd, and
> > removing systemd-logind launcher (as we're currently working towards
> > having just a single launcher).
> >
> > One thing to mention here is that while digging this up I've found a
> > patch to systemd-logind [1] which supposedely should allow just logind
> > to activate the session as a non-root user, just that either it wasn't
> > working or it is no longer present, as I haven't been able to activate
> > sessions without polkit installed.
> >
> > [1]
> > https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/e42dd9cff98f2149904e104f08bc3f19ee7b6fc0
> >

> Adding Joshua, I'm hoping he might have some ideas here?

That patch in question fixed a regression in systemd behavior that was
introduced at some point that broke the non-polkit behavior. I was
able to get it fixed, but I also suspect that fighting against using
polkit isn't going to be productive in the long run and we should look
at a way to pull it in..... preferably without needing mozjs (why a
policy system decided to rely on javascript is beyond me). Eventually,
we are going to want polkit-only features from systemd and there won't
be grounds (like "This worked before polkit") to get upstream systemd
to change to support it.