I figured out why it isn't working when I finally managed to figure out how to
check what kernel parameters the kernel was built with (/proc/config.gz); those
configuration options are not actually a part of the kernel configuration,
though I haven't been able to figure out why

as part of the do_configure step my defconfig (including those parameters) is
copied to .config and this works correctly; but then if I run do_compile those
configuration options (as well as several others) are removed from .config;
though I haven't been able to find out how that happens; as far as I can tell
the do_compile just runs kernel_do_compile which just does something like
"oe_runmake Image CC="$SOME_FLAGS_FOR_CROSS_COMPILER" $LOADADDR_COMMAND" and
then makes dtbs

any ideas why the configuration set in .config is not being used?