> On 5 Jul 2022, at 13:31, gauravsuman007 via lists.yoctoproject.org
> <gauravsuman007=gmail....@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
>
> I used the cve check class by including it in the local.conf and then ran the
> bitbake build process for my image. I got a log of all the detected CVEs in
> the packages used in the build. However, on closer inspection, I noticed that
> the packages used in the build are already higher version than when the CVE
> was patched. Here is an example:
>       • LAYER: meta
>       • PACKAGE NAME: libksba
>       • PACKAGE VERSION: 1.6.0
>       • CVE: CVE-2016-4355
>       • CVE STATUS: Patched
>       • CVE SUMMARY: Multiple integer overflows in ber-decoder.c in Libksba
> before 1.3.3 allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via
> crafted BER data, which leads to a buffer overflow.
>       • CVSS v2 BASE SCORE: 5.0
>       • CVSS v3 BASE SCORE: 7.5
>       • VECTOR: NETWORK
>       • MORE INFORMATION: https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2016-4355
> As can be seen, the CVE was patched in version 1.3.3 of the libksba while the
> build is using the version 1.6.0.
>
> Is there something wrong with what the cve-check is reporting or is it not
> bothering to match the version numbers before reporting a CVE? Or maybe my
> understanding of the report is incorrect?

I’m not sure I understand what your concern is.  We have version 1.6.0, the CVE
was fixed in 1.3.3, so the security issue has been patched.

The status is “patched” even if there’s not a literal patch in the recipe, it
should be “mitigated” but we’d need to move to a new format to change the
values.

Ross
medium. Thank you.