On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 5:07 PM Christopher Friedt <chrisfri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In all cases, the problem is traced back to a Makefile, where
> something calls $(shell git ... ) to get a git version.
>
> I was able to find out because one shell had executed a script called
> scripts/setlocalversion that looked kind of suspicious in terms of
> error propagation. In this script, if I manually echoed "1.6.0" and
> then exited, do_install would not hang.
>
> Some early discussion suggests that it might be avoidable with 'set -o
> pipefail' in the shell, but I haven't investigated further.

I don't have anything super helpful to add, but when that git command
is hung, are you seeing any stalled network connections or processes
in D state ?

It wasn't clear from your first message. Are all native processes hanging
at do_install ? or is it a subset ?

Bruce

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II