Hi Hassan

On 09.10.23 at 15:22, MOHAMMED HASSAN wrote:
On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 06:12 AM, Josef Holzmayr wrote:

    Please see https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/System_Update

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the system_updates feature though still yet to implement. Is it possible to update the yocto version (i use dunfell) to the latest one, to update the linux version(mine is 5.4.180) to the latest and to update the tools to the latest using these features. Actually i have no clarity with this so I am asking.

Which version of Yocto are you using? If you have one that is still supported (like Kirkstone or Dunfell), I'd recommend to stick to these and just rebuild with the latest release update. This way you have the latest vulnerability fixes supported by the Yocto Project. Once a new image is generated, you can deploy it using one of the tools Josef mentioned.

Moving to the latest version of Yocto will represent more work, all the more as the latest one should be replaced this month.

As far as the Linux kernel is concerned, I'd rather work with a stable LTS kernel (https://kernel.org/category/releases.html), as I guess the Yocto Project releases can't match the stable kernels in terms of vulnerability fixes and how quickly they are deployed. That's my own opinion though.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Michael.

--