That said, there's one thing you *can* do. Abandon whatever legacy yocto
build and images you have, and set up a clean yocto build directly from the
poky repository, targeting one of the qemu machines (this is the default).
Then build an image with python in it (e.g. core-image-full-cmdline), then
boot it in qemu and verify that python can start. Then add your app recipe
and check that. It won't answer the question about why your existing build
has a broken python, but it will give you a working setup that you can then
bring step by step to match your requirements.

Alex