On Thu, 9 May 2024 at 12:36, Richard Purdie via lists.yoctoproject.org
<richard.purdie=linuxfoundation....@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
> > I have a dummy question regarding the file://DIRECTORY/ in recipe
> > usage, we are using this mechanism to directly point at a source
> > repository with potentially lots of subfolders, etc. Does bitbake
> > track file://DIRECTORY tracks all contents accordingly (i.e something
> > will recursively walk through this directory and checksum each file,
> > then arrive at a final combined checksum?) and if we happen to repo-
> > sync or git-pull to pull new changes in DIRECTORY/, Yocto will be
> > able to detect any changes in this directory and automatically
> > rebuild this recipe.
> >
> > I was getting mixed answers from a few sources, some said this can
> > work, some said it works sometimes but not always. So I would like to
> > get a definitive answer from Yocto forum.
>
> It is meant to work. There have been some bugs in this area in the
> past, I believe they have been fixed. It also doesn't perform well with
> large trees of files from a speed perspective.
>
> Something like git allows for much faster operations as git is designed
> to do tracking of this kind of thing.
>
> So yes, it should work but isn't optimal with really large trees.

I'd also note that pointing to a source checkout that is external to
the layer checkout isn't good for build reproducibility. How do you
ensure each revision of the layer repository maps 1:1 to a specific
revision of the source repo? That's why recipes typically contain
git:// uris with source revisions, or http tarballs with tarball
checksums: to ensure everyone builds from the same source tree. It's
typically not a good idea to refer to anything that is not a part of
the layer.

Alex