I'm presently working on porting the build environment for three existing
embedded projects over to use yocto. Unfortunately, the project which has to go
first is based on an SH4 chip, which isn't on the officially supported yocto
architecture list. I gave the compile a go, and ran into a build error in
gcc-cross-intermediate:

build-edison-sh4/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/sh4-poky-linux/sh4-poky-linux-ld:
 cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
build-edison-sh4/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/sh4-poky-linux/sh4-poky-linux-ld:
 cannot find -lc
build-edison-sh4/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/sh4-poky-linux/sh4-poky-linux-ld:
 cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory

Trying to figure out the source of this build error, I found that base
openembedded does compile this package successfully, so I started focusing on
the differences. I narrowed the build failure down to this line in
gcc-cross4.inc, which is present in openembedded, but absent in yocto/poky:
    gcc-cross4.inc
    EXTRA_OECONF_append_sh4 = " --with-multilib-list=
--enable-incomplete-targets "

After I added this one line, I was able to sucessfully build a base yocto image
for qemu sh4. Is it possible to get this added to the upstream yocto build?
--
Michael Brown