From: Hart, Darren
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:20 PM
To: Ahmad, Josef
Cc: yocto@yoctoproject.org; Bodke, Kishore K; Kamble, Nitin A
Subject: Re: [yocto] qemu EFI build failure

On 01/12/2012 10:27 AM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 01/12/2012 08:19 AM, Josef Ahmad wrote:
>> I tried to build a qemux86 EFI image, by setting:
>> - in my local.conf: IMAGE_FSTYPES += "live"
>> - in poly/meta/conf/machine/qemux86.conf: MACHINE_FEATURES += "efi"
>>

> I haven't tried live images with QEMU. For one thing, they aren't really
> necessary as you can specify all the boot parameters on the qemu command
> line. Is there are reason you want to use the live image specifically?
>
> Also, in order to properly test EFI in QEMU, you will need to use an EFI
> BIOS - I believe you're aware of this already - but this isn't currently
> supported by the runqemu scripts that ship with yocto.
>
>> The build gave me the following error:
>

> I'll do some test builds - it isn't clear to me what is going on here.
>
> <snip>
>

>> Has anyone encountered the same error?  I'm not sure I set up the
>> correct configuration. Also, is there another way to append "efi" to
>> MACHINE_FEATURES rather than by modifying qemux86.conf?
>
> You should be able to do something like:
> MACHINE_FEATURES_append_qemux86 = "efi"
>
> Note that you will also need to enable the efi support in the kernel,
> which is done with the KERNEL_FEATURES variable, something like:
> KERNEL_FEATURES_append_qemux86 = "conf/efi-ext.scc"
>
> Either of these can be set in your local.conf.

More accurately:

MACHINE_FEATURES_append_qemux86=" efi pcbios"
KERNEL_FEATURES_append_qemux86=" cfg/efi-ext.scc"
IMAGE_FSTYPES += "live"

With these added to local.conf and building for qemux86 I see the same
configure failures reported by Kishore and Josef:

| ../../lib/autoconf/lang.m4:194: AC_LANG_CONFTEST is expanded from...
| acinclude.m4:363: grub_CHECK_STACK_ARG_PROBE is expanded from...

I've discussed in IRC with Nitin and he thinks this may be related to
the automake update and is looking into it.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center