On 02/06/2012 07:08 AM, Chris Larson wrote:
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM, David Nyström<david.nyst...@enea.com>  wrote:
On 02/04/2012 05:51 AM, Scott Garman wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to re-use the sstate from one build directory and move it to
another. It's not working - bitbake is rebuilding *everything*.

My hunch is the reason for this is because bblayers.conf must differ
between the two build directories, because it uses full paths to the
layer directories.

By default, when you source oe-init-build-env for the first time, it
generates a bblayers.conf file with full paths to the default layers,
meta and meta-yocto.

I thought the point of sstate was that I could copy it between build
directories - or even different hosts - and save myself the effort of
rebuilding everything if the remaining metadata was the same?

Scott

We have the same issue,

I tried to setup a buildbot to warm up sstate caches over night,
and let developers use this common sstate to speed up build times.
Epic fail, since paths usually are not consistent.
And it seems you can't even fake  an "identical path" with symlinks
either, bitbake detects the symlink and rebuilds everything.

Afaik your BBLAYERS should not be in your signatures at all, unless
something in the metadata is accessing it. For what it's worth, I
reuse sstate every day, but don't use the poky/oe-core scripts
(oe-init-build-env).

As a follow-up to this thread, I spent a bit of time today trying to reproduce/isolate the issue, and I could not do so. Changing the paths to layers correctly rebuilt from sstate, and adding an empty layer also didn't trigger a rebuild. So I'm not sure what I saw previously, but unfortunately my original example of this is no longer available for me to work with.

I apologize for causing any confusion, but it's still quite possible we have some issues - I'll definitely use bitbake-diffsig to dig deeper the next time I see it.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project