Hi Scott,

On 19/06/12 19:13, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
> Hi, I want to throw this out for discussion.  I recently was looking
> at a section in the YP Reference manual
> (http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#platdev-appdev-devshell)
> where it talks about developing using devshell.  I asked Darren Hart
> if this was a valid development model and he says it is.

Absolutely, without devshell poky would be just a distro image builder,
devshell makes into a proper development tool, e.g. devshell is by far
the easiest way to develop/maintain patches (together with quilt) or to
tweak applications when debugging and testing.

> There is a
> part of the section though that talks about the bitbake.conf file.
> That section in the conf file does not seem to exist anymore.  And,
> Darren (after some testing) doesn't see how what is in the
> bitbake.conf file affects development with devshell.  Any comments
> welcome.

I think that bit of the manual is leftover from days of distant past.
The terminal selection it mentions generally happens automatically, but
can be forced by the OE_TERMINAL variable from local.conf, where it is
also documented.

Tomas