I used the meta-toolchain-sdk recipe to produce an SDK, and I installed it.
Here's an interesting line from the environment setup script:

  export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed"

All these linker options are preceded by "-Wl", which indicates the SDK is
*expecting* them to be given to gcc and then passed on to ld.

If you look at the help for the ld command line, all these options are
available, but with the "-Wl," omitted. In fact, if you use these options
exactly as shown here, ld will complain that they aren't recognized and fail.

So, the SDK is giving me a value of LDFLAGS that *cannot* be used with ld. Of
course, the C compiler driver can link and produce executables, and that
muddies the issue somewhat.

Here's an example where this is causing me real problems…

I'm building an external module against the kernel produced by Yocto. Here's an
extract from my output:

make -C
/home/pturley/yocto-mpu-build/tmp/work/dm8148_mpu-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-ti81xx-psp-2.6.37-r0+spawnlabs+r0/git
 M=`pwd` ARCH=arm
CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/poky/1.3/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-
 \
                EXTRA_CFLAGS="-DUSE_UDEV=1 -DMAX_POOLS=128" modules
.
.
.
  LD [M]
/home/pturley/z3-work/z3-centaurus-dm814x_RPS-20120626/ezsdk/component-sources/linuxutils_3_22_00_02/packages/ti/sdo/linuxutils/cmem/src/module/cmemk.ko
/opt/poky/1.3/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-ld:
 unrecognized option '-Wl,-O1'

As you can see here, the kernel Make files are interpreting LDFLAGS as
something that *can* be given directly to ld, so they fail.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else run into this before?

2) If so, how did you resolve it?

3) Since the Yocto kernel build is *not* failing, I infer that it is *not*
using the ld options the SDK gives me. So, the Yocto kernel build has its own
pathway through which it computes its value for LDFLAGS. Why would Yocto use
its own SDK in a way that no user is expected to?