On 11/14/13, 9:58 PM, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
Hm, a day that will live in infamy indeed

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Philip Balister <phi...@balister.org> wrote:
On 11/14/2013 08:22 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:

Happy birthday, Yocto Project!

   what's a birthday without cake?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Brain-Cake/

rday

Berlios suggests bitbake was born on Dec 7, 2004. So in a few weeks we
will celebrate the 9'th birthday of the OpenEmbedded build system.

I found a presentation that seems to have a bit more history in it.

OpenEmbedded & BitBake - Denx.
www.denx.de/wiki/pub/ELDKHistory/.../OpenEmbeddedv1.ppt‎
December 2004: OpenEmbedded is split up into the BitBake build system and the OpenEmbedded metadata. OpenZaurus. OpenEmbedded is the successor to ..

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CE0QFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.denx.de%2Fwiki%2Fpub%2FELDKHistory%2FDocumentationLinks%2FOpenEmbeddedv1.ppt&ei=n3eGUseFHKyh4APFs4CgBQ&usg=AFQjCNGZtQsaGso-YaqLYSlOJaJfhDiaug&sig2=JzdEhA4q-4bhBDhE1NOxMQ&bvm=bv.56643336,d.dmg

2001: Sharp introducestheSL-5000 PDA running Linux

2002: Chris Larson finds out that the SharpROM sucks and starts hacking on a build system for a customized Linux distribution called "OpenZaurus”

2002-2003: The OpenZaurus build system is getting stretched (beyond belief) by adding support for many more packages and target devices

January 2003: Brainstorming towards a new distribution and device independent build system

February 2003: Holger Schurig creates the OpenEmbedded repository and starts hacking on the first version

May 2003: Chris Larson adds major functionality to the OpenEmbedded core and starts converting packages from the OpenZaurus build system

December 2003: Michael Lauer releases OpenZaurus3.3.5, abandons the OpenZaurus build system, and converts100s of packages to OpenEmbedded

December 2004: OpenEmbedded is split up into the BitBake build system and the OpenEmbedded metadata

So the magic Dec 7 2004 date is the split of OpenEmbedded into bitbake and the 'metadata'. the actual work was almost 20 months prior.

The sourceforge openembedded project was registerd 2003-01-21:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openembedded/

Also I found a repository that appears it may contain the original OpenEmbedded.. first commit is: