On 16-09-15 18:43, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
From: Mike Looijmans

"Embedded" in my world is not about RAM or disk size. It's about
building a device that has a set task in life, and nothing is as
important as that one task. Whether that's running on an i7
or an M3 is irrelevant.

For a system to acquire and process sensor data, record your
favorite TV
shows, or guide a missile, there's no need for a full fledged
bash shell
interpreter. It just needs a bit of plumbing to get the
application up
and running, and that's about it.

Busybox is for systems like that. For these systems, anything more is
overkill, and will waste resources and increase the boot time.

If you've got a 1GB eSSD drive, because that's the smallest you can buy,
having a 382MB image rather than a 346MB image isn't a waste of anything.

To me it looks like a waste of 36 MB that could have been used for storing useful data.

For many projects, 36MB is more than I have for the whole root filesystem. Usually I get between 8 and 32 MB for the whole system (bootloader, kernel, rootfs and user data storage).

How much boot time increase do you think you'll get from full-featured
command line tools? I'd be surprised if it was noticeable to anyone.

My current boot time is about 4 seconds. The SD memory on this board reads at roughly 20MB/s, so each MB that I need to read at boot will cost me 50ms extra. That is most certainly measurable. The NAND flash reads at 10MB/s, so that'll be 100ms per megabyte.

As I said before, you and I live in different worlds. From where I'm standing, your system is the exception, not the rule.