The problem has been fixed with changing the CONFIG_FEATURE_DATE_NANO in
busybox's defconfig.
I don't know which of the 2 defconfigs is responsible though.

From: djnass...@hotmail.com
To: leonardo.sandoval.gonza...@linux.intel.com; yocto@yoctoproject.org;
yocto-boun...@yoctoproject.org; meta-freesc...@yoctoproject.org
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 00:42:44 +0000
Subject: Re: [yocto] FW: busybox date cli does not support %N (nanoseconds)

I was looking around for all busybox related files  under <yocto_root>/sources
and found these 2 busybox defconfigs which look promising

./poky/meta-yocto/recipes-core/busybox/busybox-1.20.2/poky-tiny/defconfig
and
./poky/meta/recipes-core/busybox/busybox-1.20.2/defconfig

these are not exactly same:
diff ./poky/meta-yocto/recipes-core/busybox/busybox-1.20.2/poky-tiny/defconfig
./poky/meta/recipes-core/busybox/busybox-1.20.2/defconfig
3,4c3,4
< # Busybox version: 1.19.3
< # Wed Nov 30 09:33:16 2011
---
> # Busybox version: 1.20.2
> # Mon Aug 20 17:01:45 2012

but most importantly they both had disabled this related option:

# CONFIG_FEATURE_DATE_NANO is not set

The question is , in which one of the 2 should I enable it so that busybox's
"date +%N" function will understand and export nanoseconds?

thank you in advance for your help!