I tried creating an image with wic using sdimage-bootpart which produces this
error message:

---------
wic create sdimage-bootpart -e core-image-base -D
Checking basic build environment...
Done.

Creating image(s)...

<removed for clarity>
  File
"/run/media/rstreif/YoctoDevelop/yocto/poky/scripts/lib/wic/imager/direct.py",
line 67, in __init__
    self.ptable_format = self.ks.bootloader.ptable
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ptable'
---------

The reason for this message is that sdimage-bootpart.wks does not have a
bootloader entry and consequently self.ks.bootloader = None.

As a workaround you can of course simply adding a bootloader entry to the wks
even if it's not needed/used when creating an image for Beaglebone etc.

The question is what the correct behavior should be:

1. bootloader entry in wks is mandatory, then the wks parser should flag it as
an error if it's not present.

2. bootloader entry in wks is optional, then the DirectImageCreator class
should be able to handle that correctly.

I think the latter should be the correct behavior. However, the
DirectImageCreator class has some troublesome reliance on that entry, in
particular that the source plugin for the overall image creation seems to be,
for convenience reasons supposedly, associated with it.

Cheers,
Rudi