On 2016-05-25 11:26 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On 2016-05-25 11:00 AM, akuster wrote:
Robert,

  specifically in the context of powerpc systems, are there any
suggestions for an image that could be used to boot an older
powerpc system, running completely out of ram, and using that as
an install utility which would then be responsible for
detecting/formatting a hard drive, creating/formatting
filesystems, downloading/installing the OS, post-install
configuration and so on?

This sounds like an installer MV has and that I have been given
approval to release (just haven’t had the time to submit it).
Its X86 centric ie uses grub and support efi

It boots up from an iso image and runs a ncurses based interface
that allows you to select HD, create partitions and filesystem
types. It will install what ever image you built. It creates grub
conf and installs it. The installer bit is written in python.

If you do end up releasing it, I have some "installer tech" that
runs on non-x86 that I can see how it fits together.

  if any of that "installer tech" is relevant for powerpc, that would
be most excellent. would that be related to WRL's "Installer Image"?

In this case no. It is something simpler for a container OS, but it
does run from a bootable USB and has a simple backend that you can
customize for a given platform. The only trick is getting the right
bootable USB for non-x86.

Bruce

rday