On 06/03/2016 12:25 AM, Paul Barker wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 10:59:37 +0300
Ionel Badisor <ionelbadi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 06/01/2016 08:55 PM, Paul Barker wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2016 10:39:03 +0300
Khem Raj <raj.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

On May 30, 2016 3:15 PM, "Paul Barker" <p...@paulbarker.me.uk>
wrote:

I'm trying to build from a source archive instead of a git
repository (to avoid a ~1.3GB git clone operation) so the use of
${SRCPV} is causing me trouble.

Can you override the whole PV

I've given this another look and I can get the recipe to parse if I
require linux-raspberrypi.inc before setting PV instead of
afterwards. However do_kernel_configme then gets confused looking
for a "standard/raspberrypi" configuration. It only works if I
modify linux-raspberrypi.inc as per my patch and set PV before
requiring that include file.

I'm starting to think that I might be doing something wrong here -
is there a supported way to build a kernel from an archive instead
of a git repository within OE?

Thanks,
Paul Barker

Are you trying to avoid repeated cloning operation to save bandwith
and time or you are trying to save disk space?

I'm trying to reduce "time to first build" on a new build machine as
well as the amount of space/bandwidth needed to mirror downloaded
files.

Instead of setting PV in each recipe I could just duplicate
linux-raspberrypi.inc into my own layer with the change I need. That's
probably the simplest approach for now, I'll just have to keep my eye
on meta-raspberrypi going forward for any changes to
linux-raspberrypi.inc which I'd need to incorporate.

Maybe you can use the `DL_DIR ?= "/path/to/downloads/"` in your conf/local.conf file for multiple build directories and if you want you can copy downloads directory to new machine and point to it the new local.conf then all do_fetch operations are already performed, except new changes in which case the git fetch operation is performed when git is used and takes less time then when fetching entire archive.

note: multiple builds on same machine can use same downloads directory.