I'm looking at adding support for NIC bonding into our distribution.

Along with bonding support in the kernel, I would like to build the 'ifenslave'
utility program.

In checking the OpenEmbedded Layer Index, I find
recipes-support/ifenslave/ifenslave_1.1.0.bb in the meta-networking layer.

This recipe has a SRC_URI for a version of 'ifenslave.c'
(ifenslace-2.6_1.1.0.org.tar.gz) which I hazard to guess is based on the
ifenslave distributed with the 2.6 kernel sources.

The documentation for bonding
(http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/bonding)
recommends using the 'ifenslave.c' distributed with the kernel sources.  It
does indicate that sources from an earlier kernel should still work, but may
not support new functionallity.

Ideally, I would like to add a .bbappend to the linux-yocto recipe in my layer
that will compile and package the ifenslave program if "CONFIG_BONDING=[m|y]"
is configured for the kernel build.

I'm unsure of the best way to determine if CONFIG_BONDING=[m|y].  Is is as
simple as "grep '^CONFIG_BONDING=[m|y] .config"?

If bonding is enabled:

+ do_compile_append() to compile ifenslave.c sources from kernel source tree.
+ do_install_append() to stage ifenslave executable
+ Update the "PACKAGES" variable to add "ifenslave" as a package.
+ Add FILES_ifenslave variable to define the contents of the ifenslave package.

Please correct the above if I have missed something, made an invalid
assumption, or am barking up the wrong tree.

--
Paul Stath
Senior Software Engineer