Well, I tried adding debug lines to poky/bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py, and I think
what is happening is:

i) BSP has BBMASK = xxxx line.
ii) I add BBMASK_forcevariable = yyyy line to my local.conf
iii) If I check with -e option, I can see BBMASK variable is finally set to
"yyyy"
iv) However, when cooker.py is run, matching bbmask file list with recipe
paths, the original "xxxx" line is used for matching.

I feel, the recipe files matching is being done before BBMASK is finally set to
"yyyy".  Instead, they are matches against "xxxx" it is the initial BBMASK
value set by BSP.

This is fido, and jethro may be behave differently (since on jethro based build
this seemed to work)?