On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 07:25:23 +0000
Paul Barker <p...@paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 21:17:55 -0500
> Trevor Woerner <twoer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue 2016-12-06 @ 11:00:34 PM, Paul Barker wrote:
> > > Upstream effectively support one version, currently 4.4. When upstream
> > > made that the default branch, the changes to the 4.1 branch stopped -
> > > there wasn't really much overlap. Everything post-4.4 is active
> > > development and gets rebased at will. At some point they'll move to the
> > > next LTS release (4.9) and 4.4 will be dropped.
> >
> > Are you speaking specifically about the kernel for raspberry pi, or in
> > general?
>
> Raspberrypi specifically.
>
> > Because the kernel for raspberry pi has several branches that are all
> > maintained and kept up-to-date. It's actually quite commendable how this
> > repository is maintained. Branches for 4.4, 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and others are all
> > usable (ignoring the constant rebasing thing...)
>
> 4.4 is stable and never gets rebased.
>
> 4.7 was last updated Oct 25th so it's now inactive.
>
> 4.8 and 4.9 will be almost the same set of patches rebased on top of
> the mainline kernel. I think they do things this way to make
> upstreaming patches easier.
>
> This is the pattern I've seen for the last couple of years - one stable
> branch that never gets rebased and one or two development branches
> which do get rebased.

Sorry, quick follow up.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1650 is a typical response from
the Raspberrypi folks about this:

    Future rpi- branches (branches that aren't yet the main development
    branch, currently rpi-4.4.y) are rebased against upstream commits.
    Once we start making releases from a branch we stop rebasing and
    start merging.

    The commit you refer to still exists but with a different commit
    ID. You need to tell whoever gave you the hash that bookmarking
    commits in our future branches is futile because they are regularly
    rebased.

Thanks,
Paul